The overall objective of the ‘Research infrastructures’ part of the FP7 Capacities programme is to optimise the use and development of the best research infrastructures existing in Europe. Furthermore, it aims to help to create new research infrastructures of pan-European interest in all fields of science and technology. The European scientific community needs these to remain at the forefront of the advancement of research, and they will help industry to strengthen its base of knowledge and technological know how.
The EU Member States have earmarked about € 1.8 billion for funding this theme over the duration of FP7.
Support to existing research infrastructures:
- Integrating Activities - providing a wider and more efficient access to, and use of, the research infrastructures,
- ICT-based e-Infrastructures.
Support to new research infrastructures:
- design Studies – concepts for new research infrastructures with clear European dimension and interest,
- construction of new infrastructures (providing support to the implementation phase).
Support to Policy development and Programme Implementation
- Policy development - supporting, in the context of building up the European Research Area and including international cooperation, the coordination of national and/or regional policies and programmes in the field of research infrastructures;
- Programme implementation and support to emerging needs - supporting the effective implementation of this programme by fostering cooperation among National Contact Points (NCPs) and promoting measures to identify emerging needs.